Information Today reports that “The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) joined forces with five libraries and archives to help with its national Black women’s suffrage collection, announced in November 2019. The Atlanta University Center’s Robert W. Woodruff Library, the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture, Tuskegee University, the Amistad Research Center at Tulane University, and Southern California Library will collaborate with DPLA to digitize archives that showcase “the roles and experiences of Black women in the women’s suffrage movement, as well as Black women’s history of activism, as part of the centennial celebration of the passage of the 19th Amendment…”
According to infoDOCKET “At about 11pm EDST (July 28) the Internet Archived filed their “answer and affirmative defenses” to the complaint in the copyright infringement lawsuit brought by Hachette Book Group, Harpercollins Publishers, John Wiley & Sons, and Penguin Random House on June 1, 2020.
The Internet Archive response runs 28 pages. You an download the full text filing via RECAP/CourtListener.
“Building a National Finding Aid Network”: Collaborative Research and Development Initiative Receives $982,000 IMLS National Leadership
infoDOCKET also reports that “The California Digital Library is pleased to announce a $982,175 grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS – National Leadership Grants for Libraries grant program) to conduct a two-year research and demonstration project designed to build the foundation for a national archival finding aid network. This work will be undertaken in collaboration with OCLC and the University of Virginia Library, and in close partnership with statewide/regional aggregators and LYRASIS (ArchivesSpace).
KnowledgeSpeak reports that “Elsevier’s … platform of peer-reviewed scholarly literature, ScienceDirect, has integrated SeamlessAccess to provide researchers with convenient and secure institutional access to its site, anytime, anywhere and on any device…”
According to Library Technology Guides ” OCLC’s WorldShare Management Services, has achieved United States Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) authorization following a rigorous evaluation to meet the U.S. Government’s security requirements for cloud services. The United States Census Bureau Library served as OCLC’s agency sponsor for FedRAMP…”
Good e-Reader reports “… the lockdown has provided an opportunity for the general populace to fall back in love with reading, and a survey by Nielsen Book reported that people have spent on average twice as much time reading as they did before lockdown. This in turn means the book industry, especially where ebooks are concerned, is one of the few sectors that has not been crippled by the global pandemic…”
The global OA2020 and ESAC Initiatives are delighted to announce the launch of a Community of Practice call series in European, African,Asian and Australian time zones. These calls will be an opportunity for mutual exchange among library and consortium practitioners on their approaches and experiences negotiating and implementing transformative open access agreements to accelerate the transition of scholarly journals to open access.
MORE LIBRARY AND PUBLISHING NEWS FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES
- Europe PMC partners with UKCDR to make COVID-19 grant information more widely available and accessible
- George Eastman Museum Has 23 Digitized Films Available for Free; Including a Film on Kodak
- LYRASIS Awarded $492,069 by the Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Italian Book Industry: Publishers’ Study Sees ‘Signs of Recovery
- Exact Editions Subscriptions Now Accessible Through OpenAthens
- Archive-It and Archives Unleashed Join Forces to Scale Research Use of Web Archives
- SAGE’s Lean Library Adds Academic Browser App
- The University of Southampton adopts Talis Aspire to improve the online student experience of digital resources
- Jerusalem International Book Forum Announces 2021 Dates
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped Implements Marrakesh Treaty
- Open Access Textbooks: Illinois Open Publishing Network to Publish “Instruction in Libraries and Information Centers: An Introduction”
- Digital Science Celebrates Its 10th Birthday
- Equinox Open Source Grant Recipient Biblioteca Nacional de Puerto Rico Goes Live with Koha