The University Libraries at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) seeks a forward-looking, collaborative Electronic Resources Librarian (ERL) to lead the Libraries’ efforts to ensure that students, teachers, and researchers have convenient access to the range of electronic resources and content.
This position provides leadership, management, and technical expertise for the Libraries’ dynamic collection of electronic resources. Leading and managing an e-resources team, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the lifecycle of the Library’s electronic resources, including acquiring, renewing, licensing, preserving, and activating access. The ERL will undertake their efforts with attention to how social and structural inequalities are manifest in collections and in e-resource creation, acquisition, and dispensation.
This position reports to the Discovery and Resource Management (DARM) chair and works collaboratively with the Head of Content and Collections. This position supervises and provides leadership to 2 FTE who provide support in fulfilling these responsibilities.
- Manages licensing electronic materials, including reviewing licenses, securing approval and signatures from administrators and vendors, and helping maintain license files.
- Oversees electronic resources records including contact and licensing records and workflow.
- Works with vendors to negotiate license renewals, troubleshoots access issues, and remains current on vendors’ technologies.
- Participates in, and leads the University Libraries’ role in, e-resources collection partnerships at the local, state, and national level, including the University of Nebraska Consortium of Libraries, the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the Center for Research Libraries, and the Association of Research Libraries.
- Contributes to the knowledge base of the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement.
Librarians in the University Libraries have faculty status; the successful candidate will be hired at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited institution (or international equivalent), or terminal degree in another discipline and relevant experience.
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience with supporting electronic resources lifecycle activities, including understanding of current standards, models, practices, and tools used in academic libraries for the licensing, acquisition, access, and discoverability of e-resources.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to perform complex, analytical work, including identifying and evaluating problems and developing solutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to and support for a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A record of job performance and research accomplishment that will allow for appointment at the Assistant or Associate Professor level.
- Experience working with vendors and publishers and reviewing and processing licenses.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and evidence of flexibility and initiative.
- Knowledge of OCLC, integrated library systems, EZProxy, SUSHI, COUNTER, OpenURL, etc.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but applications received by January 16, 2020 will receive full consideration. To be considered for the position, applicants must complete the Faculty/Administrative Information Form at http://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_190217. You will be required to attach your resume, cover letter and list of references as three (3) separate documents in MS Word or PDF format.
Starting Date: March 1, 2020 (Negotiable)