The Pollak Library at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track Collection Development and Management Librarian to join our dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants. The library values and is dedicated to building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their work, research and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
We serve a total of more than 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. Our website (http://www.library.fullerton.edu) is a vital component of the Library’s extensive instruction program and serves as a gateway to resources: including 1.3 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 50,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 200 electronic databases. The staff includes 23 FTE librarians, 35 FTE paraprofessionals, and 80 student assistants.
California State University Fullerton (CSUF) Pollak Library is seeking an energetic librarian who is innovative, technologically adept, and service oriented, with a background in collection development and management. The Collection Development and Management Librarian works in close collaboration with colleagues from across Library units in developing, evaluating, and
assessing the Library’s collections in all formats. The Librarian will offer leadership and expertise in refining and repositioning collections in the context of emerging trends and the evolving learning, teaching, and research needs of the diverse CSUF community. As Pollak Library embarks on a new strategic plan and reorganization, the Collection Development and Management Librarian will have the opportunity to participate in the development of new structures and methods.
Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly and professional activities.
- Chairs the Collection Development Team, working with colleagues from across the library to evaluate the collection needs of users, monitor collection use and need for adjustments, review product renewals and proposals, and discuss other collections- related
- Coordinates the process of subject librarian selection and deselection, including providing training as needed and overseeing the maintenance of approval and demand-driven-acquisition
- Allocates and monitors the general collection materials
- Oversees deselection projects.
- Serves as primary contact for collection evaluation activities such as proposals for new programs, department program reviews, accreditation reports, and internal assessments.
- With the Electronic Resources and Acquisitions Librarians, reviews licenses and participates in the licensing
- Coordinates the Library’s material gifts program, supervising 1-2 student
- Provides leadership in the application of new technologies related to collection development and
- Represents the Library on appropriate CSUF and CSU system committees or teams that promote collaboration among libraries in purchasing and sharing library materials and other
- Serves on department, Library, and University
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA- accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of
- Experience maintaining and developing collections in an academic or research library, including monitoring the general collection materials
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work both independently and collegially on a team in a demanding and rapidly changing
- Well-developed analytical, organizational, and communications skills (oral, written, and interpersonal).
- Evidence of interest in professional and scholarly
- Ability to interact effectively in a multicultural environment with co-workers, library users, and the wider campus
- Experience with developing, managing, and maintaining approval and/or demand- driven-acquisitions
- Experience assessing electronic resource usage and performing product
- Experience with developing, managing, and sharing collections in a consortial environment.
- Experience working with vendors and content providers, such as subscription agents, electronic resource providers, and
- Awareness of accessibility requirements for websites and digital
- Awareness of the potential impact of emerging international movements (e.g., OA2020, Plan S, Controlled Digital Lending) on local and shared Collection Management and
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank & Salary
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary range will be from $67,656 to $69,360, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, optional 10/12 month work year; defined- benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; as well as access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
March 1, 2019
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10898BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letters of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications)
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of commitment in working with a diverse student, faculty, colleagues, and community.
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Katie Steben at email@example.com or call 657-278-4067.
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by January 18, 2019. Position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Tom Gilson. Test Bio