Inside Higher ED reports that “The Institute of Museum and Library Services has highlighted the pressing need for greater diversity among library and information science graduates.
In a recently published report, “Positioning Library and Information Science Graduate Programs for 21st Century Practice,” IMLS said the LIS student body is failing to reflect the increasing diversity of the American public.
Information Today reports that “according to the Law Librarian Blog, “On July 2nd, AALL representatives met with LexisNexis representatives to discuss the company’s anticompetitive tying sales strategy. No official word on the outcome. … In its letter to LexisNexis CEO Mike Walsh, AALL called for an open dialog over the company’s anticompetitive tying sales strategy. If that failed, our association warned of taking ‘legal or commercial action’ against the company. Assuming for this post that dialog does not produce our association’s desired outcome, the cessation of tying print and ancillary products to a Lexis Advance license, then taking legal or commercial action would be costly to AALL’s treasury…”
Also according to Information Today “the Asian Division at the Library of Congress (LC) introduced the North Korean Serials Database, “an online indexing tool that offers researchers enhanced access to periodicals and articles published as far back as the 1940s” and up to the present. …
- Arcadia Awards Impactstory (Providers of Unpaywall), Internet Archive, and British Library $850,000 Grant to Build a Free, AI-Powered Search Engine of Open Access Scholarly Articles
According to infoDOCKET “nonprofit startup Impactstory today announced new funding of $850,000, received as a grant from Arcadia, a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin, to build a free search engine designed to help the public find, read, and understand peer-reviewed research on any topic.
In addition, infoDOCKET reports that “the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL) 2017 Annual Report was released on July 9, 2018. It also provides a direct link to the 21 page PDF Full Text Report
infoDOCKET also provides access to this slide deck from The JISC-CNI Leadership Conference that took place in Oxford, UK on July 2, 2018.
MORE LIBRARY AND PUBLISHING NEWS FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCE
- SAGE Publishing Renews with Atypon, Signing 5-Year Online Journal Delivery Contract;
- Springshare and BiblioCommons Announce Integration Between LibCal Space Bookings and BiblioEvents;
- The National Library of Poland selects Ex Libris Alma and Primo as basis for establishing a nationwide library network;
- Netherland Journals: Contracts with Springer Nature and Taylor & Francis Published;
- Sheridan PubFactory to host De Gruyter’s new publishing services business, Sciendo
- Princeton Press Opens Audio Division; PRH Ireland Supports Fighting Words;
- Clarivate Analytics and Caltech Make Articles Discoverable;
- New Library System for Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology: