Library Publishing Coalition (LPC) Releases 2018 Library Publishing Directory, Searchable Online Version Also Available; *37% of UK research outputs freely available immediately at the time of publication, says new report; *A Cengage Buffet; *OpenAIRE-Advance Launches Next Month; *Online Images From Harry Ransom Center (U. of Texas) & University of Virginia Library Digital Collections Available via International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) *New or Recently Updated Reports from the Congressional Research Service (CRS); and *Papers of Florence Nightingale now digitized using Handwritten Text Recognition technology plus more library and publishing news from a variety of sources
- Library Publishing Coalition (LPC) Releases 2018 Library Publishing Directory, Searchable Online Version Also Available (For the First Time)
According to infoDOCKET “this year’s Library Publishing Directory highlights the publishing activities of 125 academic and research libraries, and is openly available in PDF and EPUB format. The Directory illustrates the many ways in which libraries are actively transforming and advancing scholarly communications in partnership with scholars, students, university presses, and others.
KnowledgeSpeak reports that “the Universities UK Open Access Coordination Group has released a report, according to which, the proportion of UK research which is available via open access is increasing at a considerable rate, with 37% of research outputs freely available to the world immediately at publication. This report, Monitoring the transition to open access: December 2017, is the second in a series commissioned by the Universities UK Open Access Coordination Group.
According to Inside Higher ED “Cengage, the publisher and technology company, is introducing a subscription service that will enable students to access Cengage’s entire digital portfolio for one set price, no matter how many products they use.
The new offer, called Cengage Unlimited, will give students access to more than 20,000 Cengage products across 70 disciplines and 675 course areas for $119.99 a semester. For 12 months’ access the price is $179.99, and for two years the price is $239.99…”
infoDOCKET reports that “OpenAIRE-Advance starting from Jan 1, 2018, will build on the outcomes of the COAR Next Generation Repositories Working Group to implement new functionalities at the level of the repository.
OpenAire-Advance Will Be Looking At:
- Improving Discovery and Content Transfer
- Enable Open Metrics for repositories
- Annotation Services
- Online Images From Harry Ransom Center (U. of Texas) & University of Virginia Library Digital Collections Now Available via International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
infoDOCKET also notes that “more than 50,000 images in the Ransom Center’s digital collections portal are now available via the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF). The Center’s adoption of IIIF means that its images and descriptive metadata are now instantly sharable with other IIIF-enabled digital image collections such as the British Library, the Getty Museum, and the Yale Center for British Art, to name just a few…”
In addition, infoDOCKET provides “the following list featuring a selected list of new or recently updated reports from the Congressional Research Service are made available online by EveryCRSReport.com and the Federation of American Scientists (FAS)…”
According to NSR “Medical Services and Warfare, 1850-1927, the latest primary source collection from Adam Matthew Digital, has transformed access to the personal and professional writings of Florence Nightingale with exclusive Handwritten Text Recognition (HTR). The HTR technology allows these handwritten papers to be fully searchable for the first time.
More library and publishing news from a variety of sources
- Still No Deal: “Hundreds of German Universities Set to Lose Access to Elsevier Journals”
- ARL Urges International Federation of Library Associations to Consider Civil Liberties in Conference Site Selection;
- RIPM Retrospective Index to Music Periodicals with Full Text now available from EBSCO Information Services;
- James Cook University selects Talis Aspire to improve reading list provision and copyright compliance;
- Bowker to Supply Data for Siteabook;
- CONTENTdm Featured Collections: December 2017;
- UNESCO and IEA Release New 5-Year International Literacy Report: Boys Lagging Girls
- Springer and MATRIX to co-publish new book series covering pure and applied mathematics and statistics;
- Taylor & Francis Group and the Mathematical Association of America announce publishing partnership;
Tom Gilson. Test Bio