About College of Environmental Science and Forestry:
Founded in 1911, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is the nation’s oldest and most respected school dedicated to the study of the environment, developing renewable technologies and building a sustainable future. The ESF main campus is in Syracuse, NY and has regional campuses throughout Central New York and the Adirondack Park. ESF consistently earns high rankings in US News and World Report, Forbes, Peterson’s Guide, The Washington Monthly, Princeton Review and other national college guidebooks.
Professional Rank: Calendar year (12-month), tenure track position
Salary: Salary commensurate with qualifications
State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) seeks an experienced, innovative, flexible, service-oriented senior librarian and administrative leader to direct all activities of the College Library. The Director of College Libraries will provide leadership for long-term planning, effective stewardship, and day to-day management of F. Franklin Moon Library on the Syracuse Campus and the library collections at remote campus properties.
The Director reports to the Provost and Executive Vice President, oversees the work of librarians and support staff, and is responsible for the vision and direction of library operations in alignment with the college’s mission, goals and initiatives. The successful candidate will be a strong leader, a collaborative manager, a forward thinking planner, and a relationship builder. This leader will value collegiality and will foster an inclusive, participatory team environment that results in consensus-driven decision making.
Serving a doctoral granting, research institution the Director of College Libraries will be expected to anticipate and work with others to meet 21st century library challenges including integrating appropriate emerging technologies and open access resources. The Director must possess a deep understanding of issues relevant to academic and research librarianship, including pedagogy and inquiry, scholarly communication and publishing, information literacy, digital libraries, library technologies, outcomes assessment, strategic planning, and advocacy. This position will require excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; a collaborative leadership style with an ability to assemble and manage effective teams; and commitment to institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion, including strong emotional intelligence, and the ability to engage and build relationships with College constituencies.
Brief Description of Duties:
- Directing and supporting all library staff in fulfilling the library mission
- Leading the development and implementation of library programs
- Oversight of all library accounts and expenditures
- Coordinating collection development and management including monographs, serials, database subscriptions, and other print and electronic resources
- Participates as a hands-on librarian in the day-to-day operations of the library, including direct service to students, faculty, staff and community
- Coordinating library assessment, continuous improvement and marketing initiatives
- Representing the Library to the campus community including serving as a member of the Provost’s Academic Council and other campus committees
- Representing ESF Libraries with the SUNY Library Consortium, and the SUNY Office of Library Services to implement and support SUNY-wide library collaboration and services
- Representing ESF Libraries with partner institutions
- Working with the Development Office and the Friends of Moon Library to promote library resources and services
- Work closely with the Office of Research Programs to engage the library while supporting the research enterprise
- Overseeing small collections at remote campus properties (Adirondack Ecological Center, Ranger School and Cranberry Lake Biological Station)
- MLS or equivalent degree
- At least five years of related library experience and a strong administrative and academic record of progressively increasing responsibility in a higher education library setting
- Supervisory and budget management experience
- Experience in an academic library
- PhD. or other terminal degree;
- Ten or more years of related library experience and a strong administrative and academic record of progressively increasing responsibility in a higher education setting;
- Experience related to science and academic research librarianship.
- Active involvement with library and related organizations
In accordance with the “Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act” institutions of higher education are required to prepare an annual report containing information on campus security policies and campus statistics. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by SUNY-ESF; and on property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a printed copy of this report by contacting SUNY-ESF University Police at 315-470-6667 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.esf.edu/univpolice/crimereports/
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
SUNY-ESF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application Deadline: Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, candidates should submit their application by 30 April 2017 to assure optimal consideration.
Application Procedure: Applications should include the following: (1) a letter summarizing qualifications described in this announcement; (2) a resume; and (3) the names and contact information of 3 references.