TITLE: Electronic Resources Librarian
CATEGORY: Non-tenured faculty, full-time (12-Month Appointment)
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience; comprehensive benefits
An opportunity exists for a service-oriented individual to work within the team environment of the University of Maryland (UM) Libraries in College Park, the largest public university library system in the region and in close proximity to the nation’s capital. Visit the UM Libraries’ Web site at: http://www.lib.umd.edu
RESPONSIBILITIES: As a member of the Acquisitions Department reporting to the Head of Acquisitions, the Electronic Resources Librarian takes the leadership role in the procurement, licensing and management of electronic information resources purchased by the UM Libraries as well as the shared consortial resources purchased for the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). Responsible for the negotiation and administration of new and existing licensing for electronic resources by maintaining a database for tracking electronic resource licenses and licensing expressions, consulting with University Counsel to resolve license and contract issues. In charge of researching license agreements in order to place new subscription orders, developing and maintaining guidelines for standard licensing terms, monitoring subscriptions in relation to existing license expirations and renewals, reviewing the impact of current licensing on post cancellation archival access, collecting usage statistics, arranging for trials, registration and activation of electronic subscriptions, and troubleshooting e-access problems reported by patrons and other library staff. Librarians hold faculty status and contribute to the teaching, service and research mission of the University. As a member of the Library faculty, there is an obligation to remain professionally informed, to pursue the discovery of new knowledge related to the field of expertise, to disseminate the results of scholarly work, and to seek opportunities for professional service at the Libraries, campus, state, or national level.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library science from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association.
- One year of library experience with technical services work, including either electronic resource or serial acquisitions management.
- Experience working with an automated acquisitions system or an automated library system.
- Ability to manage tasks in response to varying time pressures with shifting priorities and changing constraints.
- Must be able to take direction as well as provide direction to others.
- Demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively and work effectively with cross-organizational teams.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate customer needs and seek ways of providing satisfactory solutions.
- Good interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with all persons potentially affected by the scope of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details is essential, as is accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience work with spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
Preferred: Three or more years of serials or acquisition experience in an academic or research library, at least one of which is as a professional librarian. Experience with acquisitions processes for electronic resources (licensing, access provision, electronic resource management). Experience with cataloging, systems, or collection development.
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty Ranks as established by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Rank at appointment is based on the successful applicant’s experience and relevant credentials. For additional information, consult the following website: http://www.lib.umd.edu/groups/la/APPSC/index.html
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://jobs.umd.edu, click faculty. Application consists of cover letter, resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references by May 15, 2010. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. Applications accepted until position is filled. EEO/AA Employer.