The Western Washington University Libraries seek a dynamic, innovative, and decisive leader to serve as Assistant Dean for Collections and Technology. The person in this key leadership position will have policy, assessment, and planning responsibilities for Library IT, Collection Development, Cataloging, Acquisitions, and ILL, with a total staff of 25. We are in the early stages of re-visioning our organizational structure, and the Assistant Dean will provide leadership in rethinking past practices in light of new demands and opportunities. We are currently exploring ways to enhance the discovery of resources and information, expand support for digital collections, and improve the management of electronic resources. The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader who is skilled in managing change and building partnerships within the library, across campus, and the greater community.
This is a full time tenured faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The candidate’s record must show professional accomplishments to warrant this appointment. This position reports directly to the Dean of Libraries and will work closely with the Assistant Dean for Public Services, Director of Planning and Administration, and other library leaders. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, with minimum salary of $75,000. Deadline for applications is January 29, 2010. The position will be available July 1, 2010.
1. Oversees the technology and bibliographic services for the library, including staff, workflow, and integration with the other departments of the library
2. Directly supervises 3 faculty and 2 staff
3. Fosters an environment of collegiality, respect, trust, and teamwork that enables library staff to contribute to the goals of the organization
4. Monitors and evaluates trends and developments relevant to academic libraries, particularly in the areas of technical services and information technology
5. Plays a leadership role in library-wide planning, policy making, and development and evaluation of services
1. An MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
2. A minimum of five years increasingly responsible, substantive positions relating to information technology or bibliographic services
3. Management or supervisory experience
4. Experience with strategic planning, project management, or managing change in a complex environment
5. Demonstrated skills in leadership, including creative problem-solving and the ability to mentor and develop others
6. Demonstrated experience in effectively implementing new technologies to improve workflow and services
7. Record suitable for appointment at the associate professor rank or higher
8. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
1. Ability to thrive in an environment of change and to foster that capacity in others.
2. Substantive management experience relating to information technology or bibliographic services in an academic library
3. Experience in any of the following: metadata development, electronic resource management, or digital initiatives
4. Experience with assessment of library services
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in on the link below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system. A letter of application detailing your qualifications, a curriculum vitae, and a list of three references is required. You can upload or cut and paste your materials as noted on the EASE application. https://jobs.wwu.edu/JobPosting.aspx?JPID=1276
For further information, please contact Ms. Connie Mallison, Search Committee Coordinator, by email at [email protected].
WWU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. For disability accommodation, call (360) 640-374 or (360) 650-7696 (TTY). All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU.