Library Associates Companies (LAC) seeks Director of Technical Services on behalf of our client, a prestigious international book wholesaler. The Director of Technical Services will manage priorities and allocate workload among library cataloging and processing (C&P) work centers globally, direct the long-range planning and strategic direction of these departments and recommend capital, expense and process change solutions. Ideal candidate will have substantive managerial experience and expertise managing large-volume cataloging. Position located in LaVergne, TN. Exceptional career opportunity with excellent salary and benefits package.
- Manages priorities and allocates the workload among the Library cataloging and processing (C&P) work centers globally including the US, Canada, and the UK.
- Leads the major C&P projects. Sets and tracks the C&P standards and performance metrics. Champions the resolution of C&P issues and requirements with senior executives.
- Forecasts future workload and staffing requirements and redirects current backlog as appropriate.
- Partners with Logistics, Signature Services and other customer-facing units, ensuring that all critical deadlines are met and key deliverables are on target. Maintains statistics on process flow and productivity.
- Ensures quality and timeliness of service to customers through tracking of C&P standards and performance metrics.
- Works with senior executives to understand the volume, type of work, and special needs of new customers.
- Directs the long-range planning and strategic direction of C&P departments.
- Participates in the strategic planning for Library.
- Chairs the capital, expense, and process change committees, and leads the major C&P projects.
- Partners with Library to draft annual budgets for C&P departments and participates in aligning these budgets with the sales and expense budgets for Library.
- Attends BISG and other book industry committees and events.
Education and Experience:
- Master of Library Science Degree.
- 10 years exp in cataloging or other library technical services.
- 5 years experience working in or with major public libraries or academic libraries.
- Project design and management skills.
- Knowledge of MARC, LC, Dewey, NLC, NLM, Moys and AACR2 classification schemes.
- Knowledge of LC Subject Headings and OCLC WorldCat Services.
- Knowledge of LC, CSH, MESH and Sears subject analysis formats.
- Personal computing skills including PC applications (Excel, Word, Access and Project) and Z39.50 client.
- Knowledge of library automation systems, bibliographic utilities, and CD-ROM technologies.
- Knowledge of budgeting principles.
2. Please reference position title “Director of Technical Service, #1325” as the subject line of your email and let us know where you learned of this opportunity.