Private Academic Library Network of Indiana (PALNI) Knowledge Base and License Manager Librarian (KB/LM Librarian)
The Knowledge Base and License Manager Librarian will provide functional Knowledge Base and License Manager Module implementation and management support for PALNI libraries. This will be a full time employee of PALNI. Work will be project based and highly defined and prioritized in the first two years. The implementation and support of Institution’s knowledge bases will be tiered and scheduled.
PALNI (see http://www.palni.edu) is a twenty-four year old organization which has a strong track record of providing its twenty- three institutions with library information systems and related technologies. PALNI has moved to virtual offices with all systems hosted in the cloud. In July 2014, PALNI moved to OCLC’s WMS and WorldCat Discovery Services from ExLibris hosted Aleph and Primo systems. PALNI has committed to exploring “deep collaboration” amongst the twenty-three private colleges, universities, and seminaries. See the PALNI shared values and strategic plan , and PALNI organizational chart for more information about PALNI.
- Manage subscription resource licenses for participating libraries in OCLC License Manager
- Manage electronic collections in OCLC Collection Manager
- Develop, clone, and annually review license templates
- Set up and support ongoing usage data harvesting and reporting for participating libraries
- Review Knowledge Base/Collection Manager and ILL configurations for cross-module functionality
- Develop supplementary License Manager documentation for member libraries
- Participate in KB/LM Advisory Group meetings and Analytics Coordination Team
- Work with the PALNI Executive Director, Licensing Negotiator, Assistant Director, and KB/LM Coordinator to advance overall PALNI shared collection management goals
In the PALNI 2015 Implementation Survey for Knowledge Base and License Manager, the majority of staff responding indicated that lack of staff, time, expertise, or other resources impeded them from implementing License Manager to its greatest effect. Separately, OCLC has recommended establishing a consortial electronic management program to maximize efficiency and collaborative management of eResources and lower costs and reduce time spent managing collections. The addition of this position would allow interested libraries, who may not have otherwise opted to use License Manager (or the full functionality of License Manager), to participate fully in shared functionality in WMS. In addition, the KB/LM Librarian will ensure that the OCLC Knowledge Base (Collection Manager) is correctly configured, tested, and maintained which is essential for access to full text from WorldCat Discovery and other citation databases. This position moves PALNI to broader eResource management at the group level, including shared electronic collection development and purchasing.
- Reports to PALNI Assistant Director and works with the KB/LM Coordinator
- The KB/LM is salaried as a full time employee of PALNI with 10% matching retirement contribution, insurance benefits, 20 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 12 The salary will be in the range of $49,000-$52,000.
- PALNI full time employees generally work out of their homes but office space can be provided. Equipment, cell phone, internet subsidies, and professional development support are
- Initial review of the KB/LM Librarian will be at 90 days, followed by annual reviews, and intermediate reviews at the discretion of the Assistant
The position is a three year contract that may subsequently change focus or cease and is subject to dismissal under the terms of contract which specifies pay and severance procedures.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited program in library and/or information services
- 2 years specific electronic resources management experience or experience with serials, OpenURL resolvers, or other relevant experience. Demonstrated understanding of how knowledge bases/indexes and metadata work to impact fulfillment and discovery
- Excellent project management, analytical skills, and data management experience; proven ability to learn and use a variety of systems and software, ability to troubleshoot and resolve user access issues
- A high energy, self-directed, flexible, experienced professional who understands the cooperative library environment and can build upon the ideas and contributions of others
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, flexibility in adapting to change, works well under pressure, meets deadlines, and balances multiple functions and tasks
- Ability to travel to Indianapolis meetings and PALNI institutions throughout the state of Indiana
- Experience with Webscale systems preferred
Please submit a cover letter and resume/vita via email to PALNI Assistant Director, Noah Brubaker, at email@example.com. Procedural questions may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, tell us how your experience relates to this position and explain your experience or interest in library collaboration.
Review of applications will begin on March 15th, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.