RESPONSIBILITIES: The University of Alabama Libraries is seeking a dynamic, highly motivated individual for the position of Special Formats Cataloging Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Resource, Acquisitions & Discovery and working collaboratively with the two current cataloging librarians and appropriate units in the Libraries, this position supports the discovery of and access to UA Libraries resources through metadata creation, analysis and enrichment. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing original and complex copy cataloging of special format materials such as music print and non-print materials (including scores, books, sound recordings and audio-visual media), serials, kits, and curriculum materials using AACR2, RDA, MARC, LCSH on OCLC and Voyager systems;
- Participating in special cataloging and database cleanup projects as needed;
- Performing authority work including contributing to national programs such as NACO;
- Assisting in hiring, training, scheduling, and distributing work to other staff, graduate teaching assistants, and student workers;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of catalog data and metadata for resource discovery;
- Keeping abreast of current issues and trends in cataloging.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent; B.A. in Music or equivalent, a minimum of 3 years music cataloging experience; solid working knowledge of cataloging standards and schema such as AACR2, RDA, LCSH, MARC; demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies; and effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: advanced degree in Music, five or more years of experience in music cataloging; experience using OCLC Connexion, integrated library systems (Voyager preferred) and/or digital content management system(s); working knowledge of authority control, including the creation and use of authority records.
ENVIRONMENT: The University Libraries maintains membership in NACO, the Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, LYRASIS, and the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries. The Libraries use Ex Libris’ Voyager Integrated Library System. The Libraries’ homepage may be accessed at http://www.lib.ua.edu.
SALARY/BENEFITS: This will be a non-tenure earning, renewable faculty position. Competitive salary. Excellent benefits. Moving allowance may be available.
TO APPLY: Please apply online at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu. A letter of application, resume, and names, address, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references should be included.
Open until filled. Applications received by October 20, 2015 are assured of receiving full consideration.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER