According to the IUB Newsroom, “Carolyn Walters has been appointed Ruth Lilly Dean of University Libraries, Indiana University Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel has announced.
Walters’ appointment became effective Jan. 8, subject to the approval of the IU Board of Trustees at its February meeting. Since 2005, she has served as executive associate dean of the IU Libraries. In 2012, Walters also became the founding executive director of the Office of Scholarly Publishing.
Walters has led the IU Libraries in the areas of collection development and scholarly communication, public services, technical services and preservation, and university archives, among other areas…
During her tenure at the IU Libraries, Walters has laid the groundwork for radical transformations that have increased access to information, tailored services to user needs and created spaces designed especially for faculty and students.
As head of Undergraduate Library Services, she worked with University Information Technology Services to develop and plan the groundbreaking Information Commons, a model for university libraries across the country. The commons offers pervasive wireless technology, ample computer workstations and onsite technology and library experts in a 24/7 environment.
Walters has overseen a recent renovation of that space in response to changing learning styles and advances in technology. The Information Commons has been transformed into the Learning Commons, with emphasis on flexible spaces for collaboration and individual study, mobile device display capability, and massive video screens designed for training, visualization experiments and display of digital art.
Walters was also instrumental in conceptualizing and developing the IU Scholars’ Commons, which was dedicated in the fall. This space, which was developed in response to faculty members’ needs, facilitates every stage of the research and publishing process with a digitization lab, exhibition space, consultation services with experts from across campus and other features.
Walters began her career with the IU Libraries in 1987 and has since held a number of positions, including head of the Halls of Residence Libraries, director of public services and interim Ruth Lilly Dean of University Libraries…
- The January 2015 issue of College & Research Libraries News is available and includes Ann-Christe Galloway’s People in the News column which features numerous appointments,retirements, etc., including but not limited to:
- Barbara J. (Barb) Mann is now head librarian at Georgia Regents University’s Reese Library.
- Cara Barker has accepted the faculty position of research and instruction/subject liaison librarian at Western Carolina University Library.
- Maoria J. Kirker is now instructional services and assessment librarian in the Gateway Library at the George Mason University Libraries.
- Tricia Mackenzie has been named head of Resource Description and Metadata Services in the Technical Services Group at the George Mason University Libraries.
- George D. Oberle III has been appointed history librarian in the Research Services Department at the George Mason University Libraries.
- Allison Ringness has been appointed digital initiatives librarian at Kansas State University Libraries in Manhattan, Kansas…
- Joan Giesecke has retired from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). For the past two year she has served as special assistant to the chancellor and the dean emeritus at UNL, where she coordinated campuswide accreditation efforts. Giesecke joined UNL in 1987 and was dean of libraries from 1996 to 2012. Prior to this, she was the associate dean. Giesecke has held positions at George Mason University and Prince George’s County Memorial Library System in Hyattsville, Maryland…”