Born and Lived: I was born in Los Angeles, CA, and I have lived there my entire life.
Professional Career and Activities: I worked as a screenwriter for twenty years before landing in publishing. I spent two years in journals production at SAGE before moving into online products.
Family: I am married with two kids.
In My Spare Time: I my spare time, I write, paint, play with my kids, do home improvement projects, and watch really bad reality TV shows.
Favorite Books: There are too many, but I lean toward the classics. My favorite authors are Fitzgerald, Poe, Bukowski. I love reading biographies as well. I just read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith and I’m now reading Jesse James by T.J. Stiles.
Pet Peeves: Trendy phrases like “Many thanks,” “No worries,” and “I know, right?” They seem like a bad use of the language and I refuse to use them!
Philosophy: We can do anything if we want it badly enough.
Most Memorable Career Achievement: Standing on the set (a police station) for the first movie I ever sold!
Goal I Hope to Achieve Five Years from Now: Find my online products (currently SRMO) in Google’s golden triangle! That would mean we are doing things right!
How/Where I See the Industry in Five Years: All academic content will be accessed via tablets and mobile devices. Although print will never die, and many still prefer it (including me), print’s presence in the industry will continue to shrink.
- Joanna Ptolomey on Ptolomey’s Takeaways: Big data : 2014 the year I keep on tinkering?
- DennisBrunning on Ptolomey’s Takeaways: Big data : 2014 the year I keep on tinkering?
- DennisBrunning on At Brunning – the Web Edition
- Ruth Lewis on ATG ” I Wonder” Wednesday: Does your library have policy protecting the privacy rights of those using its websites and other library services?
- Joanna Ptolomey on Ptolomey’s Takeaways