Director, Product Marketing
State/Province:Palo Alto, CACountry:United States
Category:Marketing Duration:Full Time
Job ID:1121Division:EbraryJob Description:
Summary of duties and responsibilities:
The Director of Product Marketing will be a key leader who manages the life cycle of ebrary’s products in coordination with other departments. The primary objective will be ensuring that ebrary builds and maintains a leadership position in all functional product areas that are relevant to our customers.
The Director of Product Marketing will work closely with members of the marketing department, sales, sales support and operations to ensure continuity in product offering and company goals. They will adhere to and promote ebrary and ProQuest company values by performing duties in a manner that is consistent with being a team leader who supports the continued growth of the company.
Accomplishing this will include, but is not limited to, the following activities:
1. Direct and perform all aspects of product development, product changes, and product promotions including development procedures, specifying features, product positioning, pricing, catalog and sell sheet copy, and training aides.
2. Collect, analyze, synthesize, and communicate market intelligence in an actionable way to relevant groups throughout ebrary and ProQuest. Recommend strategies based on this analysis in order to improve our market position.
3. Manage and communicate sales information and product changes both internally and externally.
4. Develop business cases for new products and enhancements that include demand research, sales forecasts, and financial justification.
5. Deliver market and business requirements in a manner that can be easily translated into technical specifications by ebrary’s Technical Product Manager.
6. Work with Engineering, Marketing, and other departments to manage the overall schedule of new products and product enhancements, including market research, business use case development, development schedule, documentation, training, and launch activities.
7. Contribute to the development of ebrary’s product roadmap.
8. Own product pricing and profitability analysis.
9. Develop and conduct internal training programs for new and existing products.
10. Based on internal documentation, develop customer-facing product documentation and training materials for new and existing products.
11. Establish and maintain relationships with vendors and partners to help facilitate the timely completion of projects
12. Support sales efforts on an as needed basis.
13. Attend and report on trade shows and seminars.
14. Represent the Marketing department in group meetings.
Education, prior work experience and specialized skills and knowledge: A minimum of 5 years of experience with product management in the book industry is required. Must be proficient in Power Point and Excel. Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills required. An attention to detail and appreciation of deadlines is essential.
Strong communication skills are a must to be able to move projects through cross-functional teams.
Physical environment/working conditions: This position is based in an office area. It will involve working alone and collaborating as part of a team.
Equipment/machinery used: Personal computer, all MS Office products, and other office equipment.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information): This position requires the ability to meet deadlines, so a flexible schedule is required. The ability to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize their importance is required. It is also necessary for this person to be able to schedule and lead meetings with a broad range of people.
• Minimum 5 years Product development, product marketing, or product management experience with a content industry perspective.
• Proven analytical and communication skills and the ability to identify customer needs and communicate them to constituents.
• Demonstrated project management skills to lead team from multiple functional disciplines and cultural groups to accomplish tasks.
• Knowledge of the content industry and related products and services.
• Experience designing and improving business processes
• Bachelor’s degree.
• MBA or MLS degree
• Experience with business use case development
• Experience managing e-book products in the academic / scholarly market
• Knowledge of software development methods and associated best practices
• Knowledge of human-computer interaction (HCI) principles
Interested and qualified applicants must apply directly using the following link:
Or through the Careers search feature of the ProQuest website: