ebrary®, a leading provider of e-books and research technology, and long-time partner YBP Library Services, today announced the launch of an integrated Demand Driven Acquisition model that may be used in conjunction with Short Term Loans. The new program enables libraries to cost-effectively and efficiently provide patrons with access to vast amounts of information through their existing YBP workflow and only purchase e-books that are used.
Participating libraries may use YBP’s advanced profiling to automatically select appropriate ebrary content for their Demand Driven Acquisition program, with complete duplication control across all YBP services and consolidated invoicing from YBP. Custom MARC records are provided, and titles are tracked in YBP’s GOBI™.
“With this integration, YBP is able to deliver ebrary’s impressive range of content through firm order, e-Approval, and, now, Demand Driven Acquisition and Short Term Loans, through the same workflow management systems that we use to deliver a library’s print collection. The result is a comprehensive solution for monograph acquisition, regardless of format,” said George Coe, President of Library & Education at YBP’s parent company Baker & Taylor. “We look forward to expanding our relationship with ebrary, which has long been our preferred e-book provider, to offer additional services that meet the needs of the library community.”
“ebrary, our parent company ProQuest, and YBP all share a common goal to make important information more accessible to libraries and end-users throughout the world,” said Kevin Sayar, President and General Manager of ebrary. “With Demand Driven Acquisition and Short Term Loans, libraries can significantly increase the research material they make available to patrons, without having to make corresponding increases to their budgets. Given the financial pressure institutions are under today, we believe this will become a core acquisition strategy for many libraries.”
E-books are delivered to YBP customers via the ebrary platform, which provides an array of popular research tools and other capabilities including:
- Available any time through any web-enabled device including the iPad.
- ebrary InfoTools™, which turns every word into a portal to additional information on the web.
- Notes and highlights that are automatically stored on a personal bookshelf.
- Ability to copy/paste and print text with automatic citations and URL hyperlinks back to the source.
- Personal bookshelves with moveable folders that can be shared with others.
- Multiple options for searching, navigating, and browsing.
- ADA 508c compliant content, text-to-speech, and other accessibility features.
- Free on-demand MARC records.
- Granular COUNTER-compliant usage reports.
YBP and ebrary are currently testing integrated Demand Driven Acquisition and Short Term Loans with select libraries. The service will be extended to all YBP customers at the end of April 2011. For more information please email email@example.com.