The American Chemical Society (ACS) today announced the expansion of its award-winning mobile application, ACS Mobile, to tablet and smartphone devices with Google’s AndroidTM operating system.
Launched initially in 2010 for Apple iOS devices, including an optimized version for the iPad tablet, ACS Mobile allows scientists to keep current with a live, multi-journal stream of new peer-reviewed research content (Articles ASAPSM) published across the Society’s preeminent portfolio of 39 scholarly research journals, including the flagship Journal of the American Chemical Society. The app is augmented by “Latest News” from Chemical and Engineering News (C&EN) –– the Society’s industry-leading magazine and preferred source of online news for its more than 163,000-member professionals.
Along with numerous positive user reviews and testimonials, ACS Mobile recently received the highly prized PROSE (Professional and Scholarly Excellence) award for both the “Best New eProduct in Physical Sciences and Mathematics,” and “Best New eProduct/Innovation in ePublishing” from the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division of the Association of American Publishers.
Android-powered smartphones are propelling much of the growth in the smartphone market; a February 2011 report by Gartner ranks Android phones second in worldwide sales with 22.7 percent of the market.
ACS Mobile offers the following unique features:
- Up-to-the minute access to ACS ASAP ArticlesSM published online, personalized from across the entire portfolio of 39 peer-reviewed ACS Journals.
- Tailored “on the fly” filtering options for viewing content from selected ACS titles.
- Dynamic delivery of an indexed list of more than 37,000 ACS research articles published annually, and easy pathways for free reader access to the graphical and text abstracts of those articles.
- A “Latest News” feed from C&EN Online.
- Saving of favorites within the application in a “My ASAPs” folder for convenient offline reading.
- Interface to full-text article access and display (via wireless or Virtual Private Networks) for authorized users at institutions that license ACS Journals content.
- Quick Search of over 1 million original scientific research articles, book chapters, and new stories now hosted on the ACS Web Editions Platform — discoverable by author, keyword, title, abstract, DOI or bibliographic citation.
- Sharing of links and snippets to alert friends and colleagues to new ACS ASAP ArticlesSM via e-mail and social networking sites.
A video demonstration of the features and functionality of ACS Mobile can be accessed at http://www.acsmobile.org. The AndroidTM version of the application is now available for individual purchase and download via the Android Market for the introductory price of $2.99. The Apple version can be purchased directly from the iTunes Store.