Boston College is a leading national Jesuit, Catholic university, enrolling 9,000 undergraduates and close to 5,000 graduate and professional students. Located six miles from downtown Boston, the University has approximately 680 full-time faculty and 2,300 full-time employees, an operating budget of $767 million, and an endowment of $1.5 billion.
Department: 060021 – O’Neill Library
Position: 00011394 – Electronic Resources & Technical Services Librarian
Grade or Band: 3RD
Boston College seeks a knowledgeable and innovative individual for the position of Electronic Resources and Technical Services Librarian. The successful candidate, under the supervision of Head of Continuing and Electronic Resources, will provide leadership in the acquisition, evaluation, management, and promotion of a wide range of continuing and electronic resources including databases, journals and reference sources.
- Coordinate all activities associated with the management of the Library’s electronic resources and serials collection including acquisitions, access, and evaluation of electronic resources.
- Communicate daily with external service providers, including publishers, vendors, content providers, and technology suppliers and collaborate internally with library staff in other departments and bibliographers to provide optimal access to the Library’s electronic resources collection for the University community.
- Serve as a member of Budget Group and Finance Group for budget management and planning and track cost, funds, budget transfers and allocation for continuing and electronic resources.
- Supervise library support staff.
- Manage serials vendor accounts and provides leadership in the implementation and ongoing administration of the electronic resources management system and SFX.
- Coordinate workflow redesign as necessary to enhance efficient and effective access to electronic resources.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited library and information science program, or equivalent.
- Thorough understanding of continuing resources, including awareness of issues of vendors, packages, aggregators, platforms, licensing, pricing models, and financial and statistical management needs.
- Experience working with electronic resources and serials in an academic library.
- Ability to communicate and work well with colleagues on what is increasingly an inter-departmental initiative, understanding variant perspectives on shared work.
- Understanding of database issues, and the interoperability needs to support Aleph, SFX, Metalib, and Verde.
- Ability to develop projects, including training, quality control, and follow-up.
- Working knowledge of technical environments, especially those related to proxy servers and link resolvers, as well as familiarity with emerging electronic resources standards such as ONIX, SUSHI, COUNTER, SERU.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software, including Excel and Access.
- Understanding of cataloging standards and MARC format.
Please visit the Boston College Human Resources Job Opportunities website at http://www.bc.edu/jobs. A resume and cover letter must be submitted as part of the online application. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.